Thursday, October 18, 2007

with the right tools...

First off, I got the kitchen job. I'm really excited to get my feet wet in the industry that I plan on working in, in some capacity, for the rest of my life. I must be a really good interview, because Terry, the GM, came into the office as I was filling out the paperwork to congratulate me. He said something along the lines of,
"It's a good thing you accepted the job. We're beyond excited to have you on the team."
I naturally asked why it was such a good thing. Apparently I had the highest scoring interview for kitchen staff they'd ever had since he took over 6 years ago. And... I am the least qualified. They have Red-Seal Certified Chefs that don't score as well as I did. They have people who have worked in catering, industrial kitchens, and high-end restaurants that didn't do as well in interviews as I had.

YAY ME! I ROCK!!

(I was so trying to "find the light" as Tyra would say on ANTM)

And as or the fun I alluded to yesterday, my friend Desiree is an amazing photographer, and has recently purchased a new camera. A Canon 30D which is necessary to the photography program she's entering once she graduates this April/May from Trent. So what is one to do with a camera that costs 4 months of my rent? Have an impromptu photo shoot!! Elena and I were easily happy to oblige, and wasted 2 or 3 hours in the sunshine and parks and schoolyards, pretending to be models.



(Family of Choice)


(Me and the Gorgeous Photog!)
(The Sunshine on Any of my Cloudiest Days)

(I danced on a fire-hydrant for that smile) (tiny unexpected gestures often mean the most)

(With the Right Tools, Even I can be a Photographer!)

Then, to celebrate her new hair-colour/cut, I coerced Des into buying 2 sweaters which were neither Black nor Brown or Grey! My powers are infallible. Then to Hot Belly Mama's for some Blackened Catfish Poh'Boys, Roasted Corn Soup, and Sweet Potato Frites.


(Don't She Look Cajun Crawfish Good?)


So I guess the good news came with good friends and good times.
This must be that karma people keep talking about...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I looooove you. Family of choice, yes indeed-y!

Desiree said...

I love my family of choice. <3

Does that mean I can't find them all GORGEOUS?

- said...

those pictures are beautiful. props to the photog. the one of the woman holding the girl makes me smile. they're both so happy!

congrats man on the job. i was sure you'd get it! and awesome work with the whole best interview ever situation. that must make you smile pretty big :)

i can't wait to hear all about your foray into the culinary world

Iris said...

congrats steve!

you will have to drop by the apt. all the time! (with leftovers)

Desiree said...

oooh merci 'iamplayingoutside' this girl right here *points to herself* is the photog :)

Steve said...

i was dancing on a firehydrant just to get that smile and giggle. she was not impressed to be hanging out with mom and not me.

- said...

beautiful work desiree :) never stop

Desiree said...

thanks!!