Tuesday, April 29, 2008

In West Philadelphia, Born and Raised...





So over the weekend, I took a little vacation.



A much deserved and long overdue vacation.



So at 5:30am Friday, I woke up and got ready to head off to Philadelphia PA. The city of brotherly love, home of Benjamin Franklin, and birthplace of a certain "Fresh Prince".



Now, despite the worldly view I pretend to possess, I have never left Canada in my entire life. And have only left Ontario to go to Montreal, on business trips with my mother because she cannot parlez francais. So needless to say, I was excited.



A question I got asked a lot leading up to this last-minute trip (I decided Tuesday that I would go Friday) was, "Why Philly?". The answer was art. This was the last weekend for the Philadelphia Museum of Art's exhibition of works by Frida Kahlo. My friend Karen is a huge fan, and I was pretty excited thanks to all of the art history classes I've taken, as well as the works that I have studied in conjunction with some of the courses I took for English Literature.
So by 7:00AM, Karen and I were caffeinated, and hit the road with a freshly baked raisin challa from the cafe (THANKS DANIELLE!).



Word to the wise, don't blindly trust Mapquest. They will get you lost about 4 times. making an 8.5hour trip border on 10/11hours. They will recommend that you get off the interstate in some Podunk town and then head in the opposite direction of your destination rather than drive 2 exits further and be on the correct highway. Just saying...



Since this was my first trip stateside, I tried to collect license plates. I got 1/3 of the states, 17 in total (New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Illinois, Maryland, Rhode Island, California, Delaware, North Dakota, North Carolina, Florida, and more that I can't remember now). That passed some of the time.



But the art was the main focus, and it was amazing. Degas, Mondrian, Rodin, Pollock, Johns, Liechtenstein, Warhol, Van Gough, Cezanne, Picasso, and more. It was really moving and a little overwhelming. The Philadelphia Museum of Art is apparently the third largest museum in the United States. The place was HUGE! Giant galleries, whole reproductions of medieval temples, Buddhist shrines, Shinto tea houses, and colonial parlours, photography, watercolours, sketches, oils, everything. EVERYTHING!


In short, it was a concentrated trip filled with fun. Much better than a week long vacation where everything is meh. I think, if I can swing it, this will be the summer of the little day trips...


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

and I was so glad that you came with me....made the trip much more fun...also I am always up for quick impromptu trips...and I do have the wheels:P... we travel well together...that is cuz you've go direction skills...

~karen

ps. Go Eishenhower:)

stacy said...

good for you!

looks like a great trip.

looking forward to seeing more of these on your blog.

- said...

first time leaving ontario other than montreal business trips with your mom? *is gasping so loudly that i'm sure you can hear it* lol

Desiree said...

Did you set the alarm off when you touched that painting like I did in Cleavland? :)